New owner

Did you know that the earlier ones, (not on the MkVIII Cougar) were actually vacuum-controlled? I'm not sure whether that's better or worse. Easier to fix though I suppose.
so it would work like our interior airflow controls then.......that rarely fail :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: Mako
So, maybe move the IMRC away from the hot spot that the production line engineering placed it.
And delete the EGR.

I guess that’s why mine has functioning secondaries. 😄😄

Or at least did when I last drove her but ABS light on and MOTs are not a good pairing.😭😭

Stepper motor sounds like a good solution but the EGR system, I don‘t get that, none sense in my opinion.
I have no problem with the other viewpoints. I‘m just saying what works for me.
I have never driven one with the secondaries locked open but if my understanding is right that’s effectively did on the slightly later 3.0 a reasonable solution.

Last edited:
EGR made sense on engines that didn't burn efficiently, or were built to tolerances that threw oil into the combustion chambers (and out the exhaust). As it happens, the Duratec never really had either issue but it was convenient for Ford under the CAFE laws because it meant that they could pollute as much as they wanted with the F-150 pickup. Reason being that emissions were measured across a manufacturer's entire fleet as an average.
It didn't help that the exstence of an EGR system was codified in California law by that time, so if Ford wanted to sell the Cougar there, they had to comply (or buikd a Ca-specific model, which they apparently didn't want to do).
Anyway, I deleted the EGR on Tiger (and Wildcat never had one) and she burns cleaner than the MOT requires, so...

Locking the secondaries open really hasn't meant much to me, but then I'm not one for 0-60 launches. For any reasonable driving, it's totally imperceptable and frankly I prefer not to have the kick at ~3700RPM anyway.
When I did it to Tiger, she would sometimes throw PO171/172, but Wildcat - who has the same modification - never has. To save you looking it up, that's bank 1/2 running lean.

Reactions: mabo
HT leads have arrived, gonna do a full service , plugs, oil, HT leads, air filer, fuel filter , cabin filer , coolant, steering fluid and brake fluid and wiper blades and screen wash

Welding is being down this weekend , new rubber was fitted today, so should be MOT'd next week , even though it isn`t due till November and taxed on the 1st September …

Next on the list.... in no particular order
Get the key fob repaired (new battery didn`t help ) , car mats for the front and rear , have a look at the stereo , see what my options are for connecting an AUX socket to it

Yep . can do that.

one last question , the gear knob is tatty....... I have had a google, but no luck . Any ideas where i can get a replacement from ? and are the number plates standard , or a bespoke size?

Last edited:
If you're good at DIY I bought this and it came up great for me
It's the leather cover so you have to cut your old one off and glue this one in

Did a write up in my project thread
Post in thread 'V684 - David's Project' https://www.ukcougar.club/threads/v684-davids-project.33376/post-603445
Post automatically merged:

Also I'd add gearbox oil to your to do list for the future. Not an emergency but the 'lifetime' stuff is probably due a change while you're at it

Last edited:
Reactions: mabo
Also worth knowing that any lift-reverse Jaguar one from the days of Ford's ownership (like the X-Type) will fit as well. Just gives you more options if that's what you're looking for.

Also, my C2 leather knob (that I had for over a decade) wore out in the end and I replaced it with a late-model Transit one that's the same shape. It's plastic so not as comfortable, but is a straight fit.

Lastly - and I don't advise this - you can remove the reverse-inhibit detente from the bottom of the gearshifter (look under the gaiter - it's a little grey ramp) and then fit whatever the heck you want. Just don't go looking for a 6th gear that you don't have because the results will be more tragic than funny.

Reactions: Quicksilver
Hi Quicksilver, can you confirm a detail for me.

In reference to your photo…..
on the head unit, bottom RHS. That rocker button labelled “1” and “2”

The button beneath the rocker. Does it dispense chilled Coca-Cola with ice?

Hi all,

So there car still isn`t on the road, not far off it now. However the ABS warning has come on , I have had a look through the how to section , but i can`t see a list of error codes and their meanings . Does anyone have copy / list of these ?

Thanks
Stephen